[Homeroast] Quest

Jeff Bensen jbensen-0007 at xemaps.com
Thu Jan 9 02:16:49 CST 2014

John -

I've been a home roaster for nine years and the owner of a Quest for
the past three. Personally I love the machine, but you need to be
aware of some things before you decide.

It is _completely_ manual and, other than a circuit breaker, has no
protection devices at all. You cannot walk away from it in operation.

Being completely manual was both a blessing and a temporary curse for
me. It does allow you to create nearly any profile you desire within
the thermal capabilities of the machine. But during my first six
months or so I was not able to turn out a roast as good as I was
getting on the instrumented iRoast I had used for years. It was like
learning how to roast all over again. Once I got a feel for it,
however, my roasts slowly improved until they became better than
anything I had been able to achieve before. YMMV.

Depending upon if and how you decide to instrument it you may be able
to roughly compare roast curves with others. I'd be happy to share
any example curves I have, and can offer suggestions for
thermocouples and associated instrumentation if you decide to go that route.

-- Jeff Bensen
    Palm Bay, FL