[Homeroast] Very odd Yirga Cheffe

Frank Parth fparth at me.com
Mon Feb 3 13:57:55 CST 2014

On Jan 30, 2014, at 3:34 PM, sci <scizen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Frank,
> I roasted a 150g batch of this bean. It seemed to take longer to get it
> through 1C and into C+, about 418F.
> As for quakers, I had 7-8 in that batch. That isn't too unusual.
> As I roast more of it, I will keep and eye out for other traits.
> Have you nailed a roast yet? Don't you use a Quest M3?
> What is your profile for this one?
> Thanks,
> Ivan

Hello, Ivan,
I nailed the roast a couple of times, but it was more by accident than by good technique. I do use a Quest M3 (good memory!) and ramp it up slowly. It can take me 11 minutes to get to first crack.

I’ll dump 250 grams of beans in at about 200 degrees C with the heating elements set to maximum (about 10 on my dial).

Once the temp bottoms out and starts to come back up I’ll drop the knob on the heating elements down to 7.5 and let the roast heat up slowly.

As soon as I hear first crack (about 195 C) I’ll crank the fan to max and stretch it out as long as possible.

Just as it gets into second crack I’ll dump the beans and cool them down. Because of the wide variety of beans in this batch there will be a wide variety of degrees of roast. A few will be into second crack while others are still light brown.

The roast seems to start hitting its best flavor after resting a few days, and I’ve had it go as long as two weeks when I was traveling and still be good.

I’m open to suggestions on how to improve the roast.

Frank