[Homeroast] Mike incorrect about Appia model.

Jeffrey Pawlan jpawlan at pawlan.com
Wed Dec 31 12:18:18 CST 2014

The Appia model was designed at the very same time as the Aurilia. The
head is smaller and lighter. I consulted to Nuova regarding
thermocouples and temperature stability measurements.  I know the
machine inside and out as I have taken every part of it apart. I can
tell you that the Appia I have performs very similarly to the Aurilia.
It is certainly identically rugged, just smaller tank, 120v instead of
240v, and smaller group head.  The head is plenty large though.

In fact, my findings are that the espressos that are a 10 out of 10
result when I start the pour at a lower temperature and bring it up a
couple of degrees very gradually by the end of the pour.  The head
normally makes the temperature to be quite stable, usually within 0.4
degrees. But I modify that temperature by hand adjusting the pump
pressure during the pour.

Regards,

Jeffrey Pawlan