[Homeroast] Espresso machine shopping

Scace, Gregory E. Mr. gregory.scace at nist.gov
Tue Dec 30 10:04:21 CST 2014

The thing that annoys me about spring lever machines is that the shot volume is fixed, and AFAIK still mostly old-school in that it's usually tailored to making traditional singles, with doubles only possible with recocking the lever.  I don't care what people say, the pressure profile and inconsistency of recocking a lever is just plain stupid.  I'm not a romantic when it comes to pulling espresso.  In my opinion, the machine should be completely transparent.  You should be able to grind coffee, reproducibly  shove it into the portafilter, tamp it, load it, and get the same brew ratio, and same taste every time without fail.  When this scenario is achieved, we can talk purely about the coffee, and not about silly things like deficient equipment and workarounds.

I'm pretty much in the double boiler with rotary or gear pump camp.  The reproducibility of the double boiler scheme, when well executed, is good enough to be sufficiently transparent.  I've not seen an e-61 variant that is similarly capable.  Nuova Simonelli's original Aurelia is the only hx machine that I've ever know that can approach a good DB machine in terms of consistency.  I own a La Spaz S1.  It's a pretty decent machine for the money.  The newer ones do a better job of preinfusion than the older ones.  They are pretty reproducible, and are good steamers as well.  I'm not a big fan of the 53mm group.  I find coffee to be a bit muted and lack clarity compared to 58mm group machines.  I also think the assembly of dispersion disc and filter screens collects coffee grinds and is difficult to keep clean, compared to Marzocco or Simonelli layouts.  That said, it's half the cost of a GS3, and is sufficiently capable to keep up with a large party.  Mine lives at work, and is occasionally called upon to perform at functions during which I am making coffee more or less constantly for a couple of hours.

-Greg