[Homeroast] Espresso machine shopping

Michael Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 14:03:28 CST 2014

I've been very happy with my Fiorenzato Volante I've had for about 5 years now.  It's the plumbed in rotary version with the lever operated E61 group.  At $1500 for a plumbed in rotary machine, it's a pretty good deal.  The only grumble is that parts aren't as easy to order online like some more popular machines, but the US office of the company is here in NJ, and a call to the sometimes grumpy guy there gets me what I need.

I like having an HX vs a dual boiler, which lets me adjust shot temps by flushing. It's not a lever piston machine, but I don't want that level of control when I'm half asleep in the morning.

As far as water goes, if you are KCl softening, are you sure your TDS is low?  Usually if you need to soften, the TDS  out of  the softener is pretty high.

I run my softened water through an RO unit, then a large calcite cartridge to add some minerals back (for taste, so the boiler auto fill works, and so I don't dissolve my boiler).

--mike

Sent from my iPhone