[Homeroast] Weight vs. Volume

John Nordling john.nordling at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 12:18:24 CST 2014

Harbor Freight - for when 1/4" is close to call it 3/16".  Honestly, I'm
surprised it was only a 1 g variation.  Harbor Freight has a pretty bad
reputation for both accuracy and precision.

I found the Escali user manual on the website of a major on-line retailer,
and there's no specification sheet, so there's some question about it's
precision, but I would expect a digital scale from any reputable company
(i.e. not Harbor Freight) to vary only in the last digit when an item is
placed on it repeatedly.  If it doesn't, then the scale either doesn't work
at all, or works to a decimal point beyond that being shown.  Based on my
experience with Sweet Maria's, I bet this scale is a safe bet, and at $30,
seems reasonably priced.

If you want really high precision and/or accuracy, you're going to spend
big bucks ($1000+ in my world) and get something that comes with certified
weights (which are big bucks on their own) for checking the calibration.  I
think my lab balance has a 500g capacity, and measures to 0.1 mg +/- 0.1 mg.

-John

~~
"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all."   Neutral Milk
Hotel, *In the Aeroplane Over the Sea*

Email:  john.nordling at gmail.com

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Phil Palmintere <phil.palmintere at gmail.com