[Homeroast] Weight vs. Volume

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 12:03:14 CST 2014

Byron,

Since you use the Escali Pico HP PR500s daily, can you please comment on its
consistency?  That is, does the scale report the same weight on the same
sample measured back-to-back?  Say, use 2 plastic cups for containment
vessels, zero the scale using one plastic cup & weigh a sample of beans,
then zero the scale using the 2nd plastic cup & pour the sample of beans in
- does the scale consistently report the weight being the same, +/- a tenth
of a gram or so?

The reason I ask is the scale I wish to replace has a 0.1 gram read-out, but
using the procedure above, it will vary worst-case a full gram, which of
course is not consistent (doesn't surprise me - it was an impulse buy for
under ten bucks at Harbor Freight, which of course is known for inexpensive
and poor quality tools).

Thanks
Phil