[Homeroast] Weight vs. Volume

John Nanci john at chocolatealchemy.com
Fri Dec 12 09:28:41 CST 2014

My experience (both as a shot puller and chemist) is that there can
be larger than acceptable variations in volume when compared against
weight and that weight is the value you want to hold constant.  It's
why 'good' bakers weigh ingredients.  It's why chemists weigh
reagents (even liquid ones many times).  If the beans were spherical,
then maybe I could see using volume, but beans don't pack in a
predictable manner.  2 or 3 beans are being discussed.  I can take a
volume measure, 'level' it, add 5 beans, level it again and not see
any difference at all.

So, if it matters to you, weight is the way to go.

That said, I use my portafilter to measure out my shots.  As level as
I can make it.  And simply enjoy the slight variation.  They are
never bad....just not 100% repeatable.

John