[Homeroast] Weight vs. Volume

John Dodson j_dodson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 11 15:55:34 CST 2014

I inquired about scales a few months ago.  I had a Salter food scale with a resolution of 2.0 grams.  From the groups input I purchased a Escali (from SM) resolution 0.1 grams. I took my old scale and put just enough coffee to get to 22 grams, checked the weight on the Escali 21.6 added 4 beans to get to 22. Then I put the beans back on the Salter the weight was still 22 added one bean at a time 10 beans until it just registered 24 grams, put the beans back on the Escali and they weighed 22.6 grams.  I am pretty good at eyeballing 22 grams of beans but with the higher resolution scale I usually need to add or subtract 2 or 3 beans.  For what its worth.

John