[Homeroast] Beginner Grill Roasting & Chaff Removal

Eddie southcoastcoffeeroaster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 08:19:20 CST 2014

Will,

My apologies for not responding sooner.

You asked, "I'm curious if you do anything special to remove the chaff from
the beans."

At present, I don't have to do anything special for chaff removal because I
use a first generation RK Cooler with motorized stirring vanes that my wife
purchased for me as a gift some years ago.  Since the RK Drums that I use
are perforated, some of the chaff falls through the holes.  Once the beans
are in the cooler, the downdraft actually pulls the chaff through the
larger holes of the screen that holds the beans and a finer screen
underneath catches all of the chaff and anything else small enough to fall
through the holes.  I have a dedicated Shop-Vac Bucket Max from Lowe's that
I use to vacuum the chaff.

However, in the past I setup one fairly large and powerful fan and directed
the airflow straight up and another inexpensive pedestal fan to blow across
the airstream of the bottom fan.  I had a cooling basket that would sit on
top of the bottom fan and when I poured the bean from the RK Drum into the
basket the updraft would loft the chaff a bit while the beans went straight
into the basket and the fan providing the cross breeze would blow the chaff
out into the yard.  While the beans sat in the cooler, any remaining chaff
would likely loosen and blow out of the basket as well.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove
Docendo Discimus