[Homeroast] Conan on Intelligentsia

Sandy Andina sandraandina at me.com
Wed Dec 3 02:04:11 CST 2014

I love good coffee. I love good cooking and wine demos. I love great comedy. But on TV, they seem incapable of coexisting.  I see this all the time when a late-night or other comedy variety host has a celebrity chef on to do a cooking demo.  Otherwise funny comedians who are "generous" hosts who like Carson, Colbert, Fallon and Meyers (i.e.,  conduct interviews so as to make the guests shine--rather than trying to hog the spotlight and show they're so much more entertaining than any guest can ever be) seem to go off the rails when the possibility of culinary slapstick via food fights, messes, accidental stove fires, etc. arises.  (I'll watch cooking demos on the Food Network, "The Chew" or local news shows, but never on late-night comedy shows for precisely that reason).

I normally like Conan. But he managed to simultaneously make himself look like a tasteless philistine and his colleague Jordan look like an insufferable snob. Only the Intelligentsia personnel were watchable, and it's a testament to their equanimity and good-natured professionalism.   I find it harder and harder to watch comedy hosts who seem desperate to prove they're always the funniest guy in the studio and woe betide anyone who dares upset that order. (Even the normally excellent Craig Ferguson seems to get into a territorial ego-pissing contest with his comedian guests--I once saw him wrest control of the couch from Steven Wright to the point where someone who'd never seen Wright before would have wondered what any comedy fan could see in Wright.  The very antithesis of "generosity").

Conan, we hardly knew ye. Feh. Off to pull myself a bedtime decaf shot.