[Homeroast] India Ratnagiri Pearl Mountain Peabody - no first crack

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 11:17:07 CDT 2014

In my most recent order of greens, as part of an 8-pound sampler pack, I
received a pound of India Ratnagiri Pearl Mountain Peabody. I roasted it
yesterday. It seemed to be heating up pretty fast, so I moved the heat gun
back a bit, aiming for increase of 10-20 degrees per minute. When I got
into the high 300s I backed the heat gun off a bit more and kept very
gradually increasing the temp of the bean mass. I usually hit first crack
anywhere between 400 and 415 (as I measure the temp), usually ending the
roast after 14-15 minutes. But I passed that temp yesterday with no first
crack. I ended up a bit over 440 degrees and about 19 minutes, and never
did hit first crack. Has anyone else roasted this coffee variety?

I probably ended at around full city, though I didn't hear second crack
(but my hearing isn't good and I might have missed some snaps). I don't
usually roast this dark, and to my taste there is a bit of charred flavor.
But, that said, the flavors are pleasant enough, and it probably will
improve with a few days rest.

Brian