[Homeroast] Behmore 1600 Plus - SR 500 - Gene Cafe

Sandy Andina sandraandina at me.com
Tue Aug 19 18:46:46 CDT 2014

Yeah, before I got lazy (and our smoke-sensitive f-i-law moved in with us till he died) I was doing 3-4 12-oz. roasts per day a couple of times a week. Sad to say I haven't roasted anything in almost three years. Finding it easier to buy roasted espresso beans from Metropolis, Intelligentsia or Ellipsis (Counter Culture)--all w/in a day or two of roasting.  Don't know if my greens are even still good.  (And the family is so used to K-cups that I have given in to expediency. I only brew pots now for a group).  I even travel by car with a Nespresso Pixie, which while not the freshest delivers decent crema and is much better than the sawdust pods and single-cup drippers in hotel rooms these days. Fits in a tote bag, capsules, cups and all; especially nice when I'm in small towns where nobody's heard of espresso. Just got to be too much of a PITA to pack and unpack grinder/beans/kettle/cup/ Aeropress or French press- travel mug.  And if I'm flying, with weight and space restrictions (even if checking a suitcase), I've downsized to small enough luggage that leaves little room for extras. (I call ahead to find out what kind of in-room brewer the hotel provides--some have Keurigs or low-end Nespressos, in which case I can at least bring the K-cups or capsules).

I do plan to roast next week, so I can bring my recording engineer downstate some fresh beans for his Gaggia.  His town is so small that there's often nowhere that sells brewable beans (sometimes even just pre-ground).