[Homeroast] Behmore 1600 Plus - SR 500 - Gene Cafe

Bill Kendall pleiades45 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 11:30:57 CDT 2014

Ahhh...the Behmor makes smoke, but not like my air popcorn poppers make
smoke.

I've had my 1600 for over two years and over 400 roasts. If you go past
full city roasts, the smoke really shows up. Apart from that, the smoky
aroma is present throughout my garage and the ceiling is a sepia brown from
the smoke. (Someday I really need to clean it. I have it right next to the
exit door and run a fan if it get's annoying.)

That being said, I thoroughly enjoy working with my unit and have really
learned how to massage a good roast out of it. I run a maximum of 400 grams
of beans rather than the full one pound to get as close to heat profile of
full city, as I like my centrals to be roasted.

Behmor has their main circuit boards on back order from China - I know
because mine is currently waiting for a new one and this is what tech
support has informed me. Late August/early September is the expected
arrival date. This may be why the new ones are not available right now. If
you get a 1600, the tech support in South Lake Tahoe has been really
responsive and very supportive. No false promises and they show a lot of
care for the customer concerns. I can't speak to the Gene Cafe, but the
1600 is a worthy unit. Make sure you are diligent about the cleaning
recommendations and you'll be OK. That's my experience, anyway...

/Bill