[Homeroast] Response to flavor

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Mon Aug 18 09:46:12 CDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 05:21:37PM -0400, Clark Barclay wrote:
> Thanks for the insight John. That reminds me; I must say some of my most
> memorable cups have been at a roastery fresh out the roaster- no rest at
> all! Was it simply the excitement of the situation and the
> environment? maybe. But then again, that's all part of "flavor" right?
> Sight, presentation, aroma, circumstance, etc.

I would hope that most of us have at least sometimes tasted our
homeroast unrested.  There's a wide range of differences I've observed,
and I for one am quite certain that at least some batches (subsuming
origin, roast level, profile) are clearly better after some roast.  The
alternative assumption is that it's all down on me for not having yet
learned to enjoy the sharp edginess and other things that seem to me to
be off notes that sometimes appear.  ROFL, thinking of some of the
exceptionally edgy unrested cups makes it hard to say that with a
straight face.  ;-)

--
Obscurity is a far great threat to authors and creative artists
than piracy.  -- Tim O'Reilly