[Homeroast] Airscape (was: storage right after roast)

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sat Aug 16 21:51:12 CDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 04:52:04PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> For me, the Airscape canisters from SM are well worth the money. Dual
> purpose, really.  One way valve lid for fresh roast venting and a
> push down internal lid that I add after 24 hours.  It works very well
> and looks nice if you like stainless steel.

One thing I'm left wondering - SM says these are suitable for 1 lb of
roasted, but the specs call it a 64 oz container.  Now, maybe they're
allowing for a very dark roast of a bean that really likes to expand,
but these jars sound like they'd be 'way 'way overkill for my customary
½ lb roasts.  After I steal about 20g for the almost-obligatory
unrested cup, very few roasts don't fit (snugly, but that's no bad
thing) in the small, 16 oz canning jars.

I like the idea of this Airscape design, but these jars would take up
far too much of my limited shelf space.  I guess they're kind of
limited to what is, for my coffee storage needs, an extra-large capacity
by the need to reach down inside to flip the lever.

I've seen both 32 oz sizes as well as what seems to be the same jar in
a black finish online, but the smaller jar retains the same, large
diameter as the big ones.

... I thought I had a specific question to ask when I started typing,
but I seem to have misplaced it.  Maybe I was just wondering how y'all
find the fit to your roast batches and so forth.  Oh, and the talk has
been largely about procedure for the first 24 hours, what do y'all
think about the longer term?  Does it really help over a nice tight jar
if you're opening it up at least once a day every day for a week?

Guess I found my questions again.  :-)

--
Allen Funt was one of the great psychologists of the twentieth century.
His informal experiments and demonstrations on "Candid Camera"