[Homeroast] Storage right after roasting

Mike Davis mldavis2 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 16 12:31:25 CDT 2014

I think the big unknown in storage techniques is the effect of oxygen
(if any) to the resting process.  Over a long enough time period, coffee
will go stale of course when exposed to oxygen.  But on the other side,
we know that "resting" can enhance the flavor. So the real question
would seem to be what happens during the "resting" time and if the
presence or absence of oxygen is responsible for the improvement.
Logically, if CO2 is a result of chemical process taking place during
"resting" then oxygen should be nearly non-existent.  It is possible
that cooling could pull oxygen back into the beans.  But storage
immediately after cooling would seal them from additional oxygen as the
beans exuded CO2 which would expel oxygen from the container for a while
before oxygen begins to work its way back in when CO2 pressure is
reduced to equal.  So I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the favorable
chemical processes that enhance coffee during resting are a "coasting
effect" of heating and continue to completion in the (nearly) total
absence of oxygen.  In other words, they are not an oxidation process as
such requiring oxygen.

So my system (such as it is) is based on those assumptions.  Put the
beans into a light-tight container (AirScape canister) with minimal
holes just sufficient to allow exit of CO2 overnight, yet so small that
the greater CO2 pressure probably prevents incursion of oxygen as the
CO2 exits.  Then seal the canister once the CO2 has stopped. There
should be little or no oxygen present except what little might remain in
the beans, and the coffee should complete the chemical "coast" and then
more or less stop, waiting for the lid to be unsealed.  I think this is
the idea behind coffee that is weeks old (or older) on store shelves -
one way CO2 valves that exclude oxygen.  Once my beans are loaded into
the hopper, then of course, there is abundant oxygen and staling begins.

That's just what seems to work for me.  I'm always open to better
suggestions and ideas.

Mike Davis