[Homeroast] storage right after roast

sallsup sallsup at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 13:05:14 CDT 2014

Welcome to roasting!  You are now ruined for restaurant coffee!

My post-roast storage "depends" - how long I expect it to sit before being
drunk.

My typical roast (Gene Cafe) is 150-155 grams - about 1/3rd a pound.  This
ends up being 120-130 grams after roasting, and that comes out to two full
60gram vacpots + some leftovers going into the "Blend of the Week (aka
Leftovers)" jar.

Most of the time I am roasting for consumption within the next 48 hours.  A
plain old baggie would do since it's going to be opened and resealed only
once, with the second opening being the last.

 But that got a bit pricy in terms of getting the good ziplocks that didn't
leak air, so I switch to 1-pint wide-mouth canning jars (which I happened
to have plenty of).  The roast size is very close to topping off the jar,
leaving 1/4-1/2" air gap under the lid.  I just leave the band loose for
several hours, tightening it when I close out the kitchen for the night.
In the morning there will be a heavenly scented "poof!" when it is
loosened, but it's developed any "real" pressure that would have me
concerned about breakage.

When it's not going to be drunk for several days, or when I am prepping for
travel, I use a "lined" one-way-valve bag:  Pour the coffee into the
cheapest generic low-end plastic baggie I can find, and then put that
baggie into a one-way valve bag, zip it shut, and suck the air out through
the valve.  The cheap baggie acts as a "liner" of sorts that keeps the oils
and dust off the pricier one-way valve bag so it lasts longer.  And, when
I'm done brewing, the inner bag then gets refilled with the used grounds.
I don't know what the CSA farmer does with the baggies after he's dumped my
grounds into his worm bin or compost file.

The canning jar method has won out for daily use because they are easy to
stack, label, de-label, will go through the dishwasher, and I happened to
have lots of them lying around.  The one-way valve bags are easier to have
in overnight bags or suitcases.  They are probably better for flavor on the
2nd and 3rd openings, since the air is sucked out between each opening.
But it was annoying having the bags slide around on the counter, and in
particular having to choose between using up a plastic "liner" bag for each
roast or reducing the life of the one-way-valves.  I always had more
used-once-for-coffee bags than I needed.

I've got plastic canisters for my FoodSaver, but it was a pain going
through the setup for just a single jar.  If the FS was set up for use all
the time, this wouldn't have been an issue.  After a few uses the coffee
odor had permeated the plastic lid and could not be washed off.

And, to answer your questions:  Having some way to vent the CO2 is a good
idea.  I'm of the opinion that if you can't vent, then just leave the CO2
in there because it is better to surround the beans in CO2-laden air than
leaving them completely open.  Paper bags went stale faster and they could
not be cleaned and re-used as often, or as easily, as the plastic bags.
Sealing in a canister is fine.