[Homeroast] Questions about roasting and the Quest

Frank Parth fparth at projectauditors.com
Sun Apr 27 11:48:36 CDT 2014

I wrapped the body with insulation based on feedback from another Quest owner. That allows me to add more beans. 250 grams is my usual roast, but others roast up to 300.

The additional beans are also why my temps drop even lower than John’s, so I have to crank up the amps a little and keep the fan low until the temperature starts turning around.

On Apr 25, 2014, at 1:42 PM, Marshall, Larry <lcm at marshap.com> wrote:

> Excuse the diversion, but I thought the maximum load was 200 gm. You can
> use as much as a half pound?
>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 5:23 AM, Frank Parth <frank at fparth.com> wrote:
>
>> John,
>> A drop to 160C isn't bad. I put in 250 grams and the temp will drop from
>> 200C (my starting point) to 110-120C.
>>
>> You'll find that different beans will start first crack at very different
>> temperatures. I've had low altitude beans start first crack as low as 185C,
>> and high altitude beans not start until over 200C. Once FC starts I'll turn
>> the fan speed up to max (around 9 on my dial) and stretch out the time to
>> second crack.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Frank Parth
>>

>> On Apr 25, 2014, at 2:52 PM, John Monteleone <johnmonteleone at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've roasted eight batches with my new Quest and I had few questions.
>>>
>>> I've been having a hard time controlling my first pre-heat.  I've been
>>> trying to pre-heat to 220 c and I've found myself coasting right threw to
>>> 230 and 240.  Then I drop my beans and the temperature went down to 160
>> c.
>>> On another time when the preheat was lower, the temperature dropped to
>> 130
>>> c.  What is the impact of the starting point being so different.
>>>
>>> Also, if my intention is to never hit second crack, what temperatures
>>> should I be targeting.  First crack has been happening at around 192 c.
>>> Some roasts have coasted up to 210 and some have hung around 200 c.  Does
>>> any have any comments on that as well.
>>>
>>> Thanks so much.
>>> John
>> Forum</a>

> --
> Public Key <http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x491D7A0CF199F34B>

Frank R. Parth, MS, MSSM, MBA, PMP
Project Management Institute Board of Directors 2010-2012

CEO/President - Project Auditors LLC
fparth at projectauditors.com
+1 714 813-8971 (mobile)

Project Auditors LLC
www.projectauditors.com
1 800 545 1340 (North America)
+1 949 452 0578 (International)
+49 089 430 4991 (Europe)
+61 419 511 799 (ASEA region)
+971 (0)50 928 7279 (UAE mobile)

Project Auditors LLC is a
PMI Global Registered Educational Provider