[Homeroast] Questions about roasting and the Quest

Barry Luterman lutermanb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 10:55:06 CDT 2014

I pre-heat to 200 C. I open the heat full on. When the reading hits 190 I
back the meter off to either 8.5 or 9 depending on what beans I am
roasting. When temp reaches 200 I introduce 300 gr of beans (my roaster has
heat wrap). The temperature will drop depending on the temperature of the
beans and the ambient air. The temperature drop is normal. As soon as i
introduce the beans I start my stop watch. My target is to get to 150
degrees by 5 minutes. I make the necessary adjustments to the amperage
control to achieve this goal. Next goal is to achieve first crack by 8.5
minutes (180 to 190 degrees). Again I use the amperage control to achieve
this goal. After First crack all other heat modifications are done with the
fan control. Dump beans at 12 minutes or when temp reaches ( 215 or 220).