[Homeroast] IR thermometer with heat-gun/dog-bowl?

Alan Hayes alanp.hayes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 15:49:16 CDT 2014

With quantities as small as I'm talking about you can cool rapidly enough
just by spreading the beans out a bit. I think a lot of the concern about
cooling in small amounts may have more to do with chaff removal than
actually with cooling. I can't say I have ever had any real cooling issues
even back when I was doing it by pouring back and forth between two
colanders. As far as profiling, you could use the sample roaster for that
sort of investigation especially if you have digital feedbacks and
controls, but in the initial sampling you really just need to have fairly
consistent sets of roasts, to simplify comparison. The SCAA protocol
actually says all beans to be cupped should be roasted to a fairly light
degree. Of course, for actual roasting, you need to roast to different
levels to determine what works best for a particular coffee. The sort of
setup I am envisioning should probably be able to deal with both scenarios.