[Homeroast] IR thermometer with heat-gun/dog-bowl?

Dave C. perpetualapprentice at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 19:22:50 CDT 2014

On Apr 23, 2014, at 3:55 PM, Ryan Fair wrote:

> First time post here.  I've been reading the list for about 3 months now
> and love it.
>
> I've been using a IR thermometer with my popcorn popper roasts and I feel
> it's been fairly accurate.  At least according to SM's page on the
> temperature for various roasts.  The temperature will jump around quite a
> bit but I can tell the general idea of the temperature of the beans.  The
> problem I have and I think just a general issue with popcorn popper
> roasting is it goes so fast.  I will see it jump from about 400F to 450F in
> a matter of seconds and the roast will go beyond what I'm going for.  All
> that to say yes I *think* you can get accurate readings, but I'm still very
> new at all this.
>
> Hope I contributed even if in part.
>
> Ryan, Oklahoma City

I have good experience with IR point and shoot thermometers but long term experience with your specific model will lead to best results. My view is they are not precision instruments but give you good ballpark numbers once you know it's strengths ands limitations.

For Ryan, a Variac is extremely useful with a popper. It can give you time and temp. control that is out of reach otherwise.

I used to use a thermocouple in my popper but have been doing it by sound and smell for the last 5-6 years. I consider it more art than science and prefer to let the process flow over me than try to control the details. It's may not produce anything close to perfect results but I like the variation and look forward to varying tastes with the same beans. Every time I grind up a fresh roast it's like a mini-Christmas morning - I never know exactly what will be in the cup but it's never bad and sometimes fabulous.

Dave