[Homeroast] IR thermometer with heat-gun/dog-bowl?

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:48:21 CDT 2014

Alan,

Yes, I roast a pound at a time without a problem. I try to follow a common
profile which gets up to 275 or so in about 3 minutes, then increases by 10
or 20 degrees a minute. I usually hit first at around 12 minutes, and I
usually finish up at around 16 minutes. As I mentioned, I use a Master
Appliance 751B:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Appliance-HG-751B-750-1000-Fahrenheit/dp/B0002SRM2O

This heatgun weights nearly 4 pounds and is rated at nearly 15 amps, and
puts out a lot of heat. I control the heat mostly by moving the heatgun
closer to or farther away from the beans, keeping an eye on the digital
thermometer. The heatgun is usually 5 or 6 inches from the beans. I suspend
my heatgun using a device I lucked into a number of years ago from
"American Science & Surplus"; it apparently is a mechanism intended to
suspend adjustable hanging lamps. I allows me to set the tension to the
weight of the heat gun, then simply lift or lower the heatgun and the
mechanism holds it in that spot. (I wish I would have bought several... I
think they were selling for just a couple bucks.)

A smaller heatgun, those selling in the $25 range, can quite easily roast
half a pound at a time. Trying to increase to a pound means that the
smaller heatgun has to be held too close to the beans, which can too easily
lead to scorching.

Brian