[Homeroast] IR thermometer with heat-gun/dog-bowl?

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 08:44:34 CDT 2014

Hi Phil,

I roast a pound at a time with a Master Appliance 751b heatgun. It's heavy,
nearly 4 pounds, so I suspend it from a tripod.

I purchased an IR thermometer expressly to monitor temp in the beans. I
think it worked ok for monitoring the temp. I didn't like using it, though,
because I hold the heatgun in one hand and stir with the other hand, so I
don't have a hand for the IR thermometer. I had to either put the wooden
spoon down and quit stirring or let the heatgun do what it wanted to, and I
didn't like either of those options.

I use this digital  thermometer that I got from Tom:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/roasting-supplies/digital-thermometer-with-thermocouple.html

I roast with a sieve that fits quite snugly into a stainless steel mixing
bowl, both from Target about 10 years ago. I threaded the end of the
thermocouple into the wire of the sieve, and it stays there, so all I need
to do to prepare for roasting is to plug the thermocouple into the
thermometer.

Brian