[Homeroast] IR thermometer with heat-gun/dog-bowl?

Alan Hayes alanp.hayes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 18:22:04 CDT 2014

Hi from me too! I've been an SM customer since 2001, but never did much on
this list. I've recently deepened my coffee involvement by starting a
pico-scale roasting biz, and figured I should look at participating in
things like this list.

On this question, while I've never done the heatgun/dogbowl thing I have
used non-contact IR thermos quite a lot, mostly roasting in vessels heated
externally. I've found them to be an excellent way to get temp information.
You do have to watch where you are aiming, and the absolute temp
measurements may differ from a thermocouple and ithe actual internal bean
temp, but they relate quite nicely and consistently to degree of roast.

Alan
hayeshomeroast.com