[Homeroast] IR thermometer with heat-gun/dog-bowl?

Phil Ferrante-Roseberry philfr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 12:28:06 CDT 2014

Hi list!

I was on the homeroaster list years back when the volume of posts was
overwhelming. Dropped off for a long time, and now returned! (Been enjoying
SM beans for the whole time though.)

I've been roasting with a heat-gun/dog-bowl for most of the 13 years I've
been at it. (Does anyone still do that?)  But I'd like to get just a bit
more data around bean-temp. Has anyone tried using a IR
thermometer<http://www.amazon.com/Meters-PIRT30-Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B005FU5NFW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top>?
 Not having to find a place for a probe seems like a huge benefit, but I'm
wondering if you can get an accurate reading.

Thanks!
Phil, near Boulder CO