[Homeroast] Strong coffee and weak

John M. Howison johnmhowison at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:50:40 CDT 2014

Wasting even a few beans of good coffee pains me -- even if only
pennies are involved, there is the loss of berries picked and
processed one-by-one by little brown fingers, doubtless underpaid.
Discovering recently a misplaced container of month-old coffee that
begged to be discarded,  I remembered that Roman coffee-venders a
couple of generations back had argued that freshly-roasted,
high-quality  beans could be "extended" by adding inferior ones.  I
ground a batch of the tired beans with an equal quantity of last
night's roast, and lo ! ! my morning mug was great, not even hinting
of loss.  The good flavor had subdued the inferior.

Do roasters with finer noses than mine agree that last week's coffee
needn't be thrown away?
--
Contra muros, mater rubicolla