[Homeroast] Roasting decaf beans

Bill Kendall pleiades45 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 23:01:24 CDT 2014

Great and needful discussion!

FIrst of all, I 'm up for trying Bonnie's technique described earlier.

Secondly, I roast decafs weekly for my wife who can't handle caffeine in
it's original form, but loves her coffee. I have the 1600 and am closing in
on Roast #400, having been gifted the Behmor some 20+ months ago.

I agree that decafs are dicey/touchy/rather inconsistent. However, I've
really endeavored to take consistent notes and actually get my wife's
critical critique with what she's drinking. Good, bad, indifferent - I want
to know.

The following has been my experience:

1. Centrals and South Americans have gotten way more 'thumbs up" than
Africans and Ethiopians.

2. I roast 350-375 grams at the1# setting on P1/A, having added the extra
2:30 minutes at the start of the roast; this has been my general guide.
Sometimes I realize it's too hot a profile (when 1C starts with 7 or 6
minutes left),  but "generally" this has been the successful profile for me.

3. *LET IT REST!* Since we drive together to work, a coffee I've roasted
two days earlier will get a high five a week later. She'll ask, "What
coffee is this today?" Telling her it was the coffee I roasted 7-10 days -
and that she drank on
Day 3 -  almost always comes as a pleasant surprise.

4. FInally, I roast to FC or FC+ to the very start of 2C.on most of my
decaf beans. This is simply a preference on her part. The fruity Ethiopians
I've roasted to City or City+ is not what she enjoys...describes it as too
"green".

That's what I've got. Love to hear what others have to offer also.

Hope this helps...Bill K.