[Homeroast] Roasting decaf beans

Bonnie Polkinghorn bonnie.polkinghorn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 15:44:58 CDT 2014

Hello Forrest,
I roast a lot of decaf, and for 3/4 lb, I roast on 1lb P2 B, and almost
always - 1C starts exactly at the 12 minute mark.  I then roast 3-4 minutes
after the start of 1C, and then hit cool.  I then open the door and remove
the chaff tray while cooling.  Decaf doesn't have much chaff, so that works
really well.

You will know what time your 1C usually starts if you use P1 or P2.  Yours
may not be at 12 minutes.  Mine is that way because my Behmor is old, and I
wrap the chaff tray in foil to try to speed up my roasts.

Do you use the RoasterThing software to monitor your roasts?  If so, you
can get a lot of interesting data on where your roasts are in the Behmor
profile at the start of 1C.

-Bonnie P.