[Homeroast] Stupid Noob question - when does first crack start?

Bill Kendall pleiades45 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:35:17 CDT 2014

I've owned the 1600 almost two years and am approaching Roast #400 on the
little unit. (I've kept detailed notes from Day 1. I need to get a new
squirrel cage, too as the welds are slowly coming apart. Too much heat!)

Your approach is much the same as mine. I've found that each new bean has a
whole new start to 1stC. Centrals and SA beans seem to start around Minute
4 to 3.  I'm usually using P1/A and adding the 2:30 minutes to the roast,
with amounts averaging 350-400gr. I've experimented with the P3 & P4
settings, but the people I roast for love what comes out of P1. It's the
hottest profile and without a thermometer it's worked the most
consistently. I would agree with your assessment in defining 1stC as "...2
or 3 pops within about 5 secs and ignoring the random early pops."

FYI - I blew out one of the exhaust fans and the guys at Behmor sent me one
for gratis - they're great to work with!

Hope that helps...Bill