[Homeroast] Stupid Noob question - when does first crack start?

Seth Grandeau grandeau at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 19:11:24 CDT 2014

I always start counting "first crack" from the 4th or 5th one I hear.  The
first few our outliers and should be ignored.  I usually do roast around
320-340 grams on the 1 lb setting.  I only pre-heat when I do batches
closer to 1 lb or when it's cold in my house.  For african coffees, I use
P1 A.  I've never had any luck with P2.  For island coffees, P5 B.  Since
I'm roasting less than 1 lb on the 1 lb setting, I like to use the A or B
setting, to not have too long a heating ramp.