[Homeroast] New roaster

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Mon May 13 16:15:13 CDT 2013

John,
Thanks for explaining the true story. I already knew the facts, but it needs
to repeated often, though I doubt that many opinions will be changed as most
people don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
The Internet is full of urban legends about "frivolous lawsuits." Some have
a small grain of truth, and much exaggeration; others are pure bovine scat.

I am reminded of another case where Ford Motor Company found that a new car
design (I think it was the Pinto, but am not sure) that was ready to go into
production, when struck from the rear, had the habit of spewing burning
gasoline into the passenger compartment causing a very painful death for all
within the car. Their bean counters figured out how many times this would
happen and the probable payouts from the resulting wrongful death lawsuits
from the families of the "crispy critters" and decided that it would cost
less to pay the lawsuits than to re-design the car safely, so they sold the
car knowing that there would be many innocent deaths, but they saved money.

Mike Chester