[Homeroast] Homeroast Digest, Vol 65, Issue 20

Robert Yoder robotyonder at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 22 18:05:04 CDT 2013


Water under the bridge!  (at last)
 
Happy Roasting,
 
robert yoder
 
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:28:36 -0500
> From: georgayne.adams at gmail.com
> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Homeroast Digest, Vol 65, Issue 20
> 
> Ginny-
> "Steve:
> I am not sure why a convresation about filtering is so upsetting to you.
> makes for continued education in coffee, water, filter knowledge."
> 
> Gee, Ginny, I don't even know Steve, but it didn't sound like he was duly
> upset over water filtration. Maybe it was because there was little
> "educational" value in beating that dead horse? I don't know if you noticed
> or even wanted to, but it had descended into "I'm right, you're wrong"
> vernacular days ago and I think Steve (and others, me included) were just
> ready to move on to another subject. If Raybob wants to use distilled
> water, terrific! If you want to use creek water, hooray! To each his own.
> 
> Georgayne
> 
> 
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM, <
> homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com> wrote:
> 
> > Send Homeroast mailing list submissions to
> >         homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> >
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> >
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> >         homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> >
> > You can reach the person managing the list at
> >         homeroast-owner at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> >
> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > than "Re: Contents of Homeroast digest..."
> >
> >
> > Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting "HomeRoast List" Digest
> >
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> >    1. Re: Distilled H2O (gin powell)
> >    2. Re: Distilled H2O (Seth Grandeau)
> >    3. Re: Distilled H2O vs RO (Raybob Bowman)
> >    4. Re: Distilled H2O vs RO (John Nanci)
> >    5. Re: Distilled H2O vs RO (Seth Grandeau)
> >    6. Re: Distilled H2O vs RO (Mike Koenig)
> >    7. Re: Distilled H2O vs RO (peter zulkowski)
> >    8. Re: Distilled H2O vs RO (peter zulkowski)
> >    9. Re: Distilled H2O vs RO (Scott Bonder)
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:18:36 -0700
> > From: gin powell <pchforever at gmail.com>
> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> >         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> >         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O
> > Message-ID:
> >         <CABkXT7-+Mv4PoH5H=-
> > AQMKE0v2M-V-smanYfF+EORuMTspJZXQ at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > Steve:
> >
> > I am not sure why a convresation about filtering is so upsetting to you.
> >
> > makes for continued education in coffee, water, filter knowledge.
> >
> > ginny
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Steve Hamm <steve.hamm at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Please, folks, go read the wikipedia article on reverse osmosis. You
> > > can desalinate water, you can remove water from maple sap (concentrating
> > > the sugar), cut dissolved minerals, etc. etc. etc. Very flexible
> > > technology. "RO filters" aren't like coffee filters or colanders.
> > >
> > > Now, can we move back to discussing coffee? I roasted some SM's Cafe
> > Pulcal
> > > (Guatemala) over the weekend, and find that I'm really enjoying it.. but
> > > I'm afraid my palate is locked onto Guatemalan bourbons.
> > >
> > > I don't often try African beans -- and I'm not much on the dry process
> > > beans I've tried. So, if I really like Guatemalan bourbon/caturra beans,
> > > what should I look at from Africa?
> > >
> > > --Steve
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Dennis True <dennist3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > according to the interwebs Gin is right....    to remove sugar from a
> > > sugar
> > > > water solution requires other processes that just filtering....
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM, gin powell <pchforever at gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > sorry if I got the names backward, this discussion is backward,
> > cannot
> > > be
> > > > > done, ever, period.
> > > > >
> > > > > -g
> > > > >
> > > > > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM, gin powell <pchforever at gmail.com>
> > > > wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > you simply CANNOT filter out sugar in water, period. it is now part
> > > of
> > > > > the
> > > > > > water and not a solid you can filter...
> > > > > >
> > > > > > sorry raybob.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > ginny
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Masa Jow <shigmas at gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > >> Raybob,
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> Of course, you're right about not being able to filter out the
> > sugar
> > > > > with
> > > > > >> a course filter.  The 'filter' that I use for straining my pasta
> > > > doesn't
> > > > > >> work.  But, have you ever used a water purifier?  If not at your
> > > > house,
> > > > > >>  then surely, you've at least seen them at someone's house or in
> > the
> > > > > store,
> > > > > >> right?  Brita?
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> Even dissolved in water, sugar is still sugar.  You can't see it,
> > > but,
> > > > > >> surely, you've tasted water with dissolved sugar, right?  It's
> > still
> > > > > sweet,
> > > > > >> right?  You just can't see it.
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> On Jun 14, 2013, at 10:03 PM, Raybob Bowman <raybob at tube-tone.com
> > >
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> > On 6/13/2013 10:00 AM,
> > > > > homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.comwrote:
> > > > > >> >> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:52:28 -0400
> > > > > >> >> From: Mike Koenig<koenig.mike at gmail.com>
> > > > > >> >> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O
> > > > > >> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> > > > > >> >>
> > > > > >> >> "You can't pour water with soluble chemicals through any type
> > of
> > > > > >> filter to
> > > > > >> >> make them get out of the water.  Only distillation separates
> > them
> > > > > from
> > > > > >> the
> > > > > >> >> water."
> > > > > >> >>
> > > > > >> >> Wow - so I suppose I was hallucinating the whole time when I
> > > > observed
> > > > > >> the
> > > > > >> >> purity of my laboratory water which had all the "soluble
> > > chemicals"
> > > > > >> removed
> > > > > >> >> by membranes and deionization resin, or my water softener at
> > home
> > > > > >> doesn't
> > > > > >> >> really work either.   And the entire water purification
> > industry
> > > > has
> > > > > >> it all
> > > > > >> >> wrong and is a huge scam.
> > > > > >> >>
> > > > > >> >> This argument is futile and I can go no further..
> > > > > >> >>
> > > > > >> >> --mike
> > > > > >> > Mike, if you mix sugar in water, it becomes sugar-water.  You
> > > can't
> > > > > >> filter out the sugar, it pours right through whatever is in that
> > > > filter.
> > > > > >>  How can a membrane remove sugar?  Can you pee through those
> > > membranes
> > > > > and
> > > > > >> then deionize it, then make coffee with it?  I don't think so.
> >  You
> > > > > might
> > > > > >> just do that, but there's no way I'd drink it. The ONLY way to
> > > remove
> > > > > >> solubles from H2O is by distillation.
> > > > > >> >
> > > > > >> > Raybob
> > > > > >> >
> > > > > >> > _______________________________________________
> > > > > >> > Homeroast mailing list
> > > > > >> > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > >> >
> > > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > >> > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > > > > >> Forum</a>
> > > > > >> > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
> > > > > Library</a>
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> _______________________________________________
> > > > > >> Homeroast mailing list
> > > > > >> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > >> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > > > > Forum</a>
> > > > > >> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
> > > > Library</a>
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > > > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > > > Forum</a>
> > > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
> > > Library</a>
> > > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > > Forum</a>
> > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
> > Library</a>
> > > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > Forum</a>
> > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
> > >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:24:49 -0400
> > From: Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com>
> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> >         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> >         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O
> > Message-ID:
> >         <
> > CAAD6oHcwQ0Y-fEGOfy+uqDr1o+7EdgcuV68tL7W75N4O5jnbPQ at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > Since distill water, bottled spring water, filtered tap water and plain old
> > tap water are all relatively available.  Maybe we should each try to make
> > coffee with each of these ingredients, using the same beans and brewing
> > method, and report back our findings.
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM, gin powell <pchforever at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Steve:
> > >
> > > I am not sure why a convresation about filtering is so upsetting to you.
> > >
> > > makes for continued education in coffee, water, filter knowledge.
> > >
> > > ginny
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Steve Hamm <steve.hamm at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > > Please, folks, go read the wikipedia article on reverse osmosis. You
> > > > can desalinate water, you can remove water from maple sap
> > (concentrating
> > > > the sugar), cut dissolved minerals, etc. etc. etc. Very flexible
> > > > technology. "RO filters" aren't like coffee filters or colanders.
> > > >
> > > > Now, can we move back to discussing coffee? I roasted some SM's Cafe
> > > Pulcal
> > > > (Guatemala) over the weekend, and find that I'm really enjoying it..
> > but
> > > > I'm afraid my palate is locked onto Guatemalan bourbons.
> > > >
> > > > I don't often try African beans -- and I'm not much on the dry process
> > > > beans I've tried. So, if I really like Guatemalan bourbon/caturra
> > beans,
> > > > what should I look at from Africa?
> > > >
> > > > --Steve
> > > >
> > > > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Dennis True <dennist3 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > according to the interwebs Gin is right....    to remove sugar from a
> > > > sugar
> > > > > water solution requires other processes that just filtering....
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM, gin powell <pchforever at gmail.com>
> > > > wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > sorry if I got the names backward, this discussion is backward,
> > > cannot
> > > > be
> > > > > > done, ever, period.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > -g
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM, gin powell <pchforever at gmail.com>
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > you simply CANNOT filter out sugar in water, period. it is now
> > part
> > > > of
> > > > > > the
> > > > > > > water and not a solid you can filter...
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > sorry raybob.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > ginny
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Masa Jow <shigmas at gmail.com>
> > > > wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >> Raybob,
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> Of course, you're right about not being able to filter out the
> > > sugar
> > > > > > with
> > > > > > >> a course filter.  The 'filter' that I use for straining my pasta
> > > > > doesn't
> > > > > > >> work.  But, have you ever used a water purifier?  If not at your
> > > > > house,
> > > > > > >>  then surely, you've at least seen them at someone's house or in
> > > the
> > > > > > store,
> > > > > > >> right?  Brita?
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> Even dissolved in water, sugar is still sugar.  You can't see
> > it,
> > > > but,
> > > > > > >> surely, you've tasted water with dissolved sugar, right?  It's
> > > still
> > > > > > sweet,
> > > > > > >> right?  You just can't see it.
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> On Jun 14, 2013, at 10:03 PM, Raybob Bowman <
> > raybob at tube-tone.com
> > > >
> > > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> > On 6/13/2013 10:00 AM,
> > > > > > homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.comwrote:
> > > > > > >> >> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:52:28 -0400
> > > > > > >> >> From: Mike Koenig<koenig.mike at gmail.com>
> > > > > > >> >> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O
> > > > > > >> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> > > > > > >> >>
> > > > > > >> >> "You can't pour water with soluble chemicals through any type
> > > of
> > > > > > >> filter to
> > > > > > >> >> make them get out of the water.  Only distillation separates
> > > them
> > > > > > from
> > > > > > >> the
> > > > > > >> >> water."
> > > > > > >> >>
> > > > > > >> >> Wow - so I suppose I was hallucinating the whole time when I
> > > > > observed
> > > > > > >> the
> > > > > > >> >> purity of my laboratory water which had all the "soluble
> > > > chemicals"
> > > > > > >> removed
> > > > > > >> >> by membranes and deionization resin, or my water softener at
> > > home
> > > > > > >> doesn't
> > > > > > >> >> really work either.   And the entire water purification
> > > industry
> > > > > has
> > > > > > >> it all
> > > > > > >> >> wrong and is a huge scam.
> > > > > > >> >>
> > > > > > >> >> This argument is futile and I can go no further..
> > > > > > >> >>
> > > > > > >> >> --mike
> > > > > > >> > Mike, if you mix sugar in water, it becomes sugar-water.  You
> > > > can't
> > > > > > >> filter out the sugar, it pours right through whatever is in that
> > > > > filter.
> > > > > > >>  How can a membrane remove sugar?  Can you pee through those
> > > > membranes
> > > > > > and
> > > > > > >> then deionize it, then make coffee with it?  I don't think so.
> > >  You
> > > > > > might
> > > > > > >> just do that, but there's no way I'd drink it. The ONLY way to
> > > > remove
> > > > > > >> solubles from H2O is by distillation.
> > > > > > >> >
> > > > > > >> > Raybob
> > > > > > >> >
> > > > > > >> > _______________________________________________
> > > > > > >> > Homeroast mailing list
> > > > > > >> > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > > >> >
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > > >> > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet
> > Maria's
> > > > > > >> Forum</a>
> > > > > > >> > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
> > > > > > Library</a>
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> _______________________________________________
> > > > > > >> Homeroast mailing list
> > > > > > >> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > > >> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > > > > > Forum</a>
> > > > > > >> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
> > > > > Library</a>
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > > > > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > > > > Forum</a>
> > > > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
> > > > Library</a>
> > > > > >
> > > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > > > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > > > Forum</a>
> > > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
> > > Library</a>
> > > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > > Forum</a>
> > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
> > Library</a>
> > > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > Forum</a>
> > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
> > >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 01:54:31 -0700
> > From: Raybob Bowman <raybob at tube-tone.com>
> > To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO
> > Message-ID: <51C2C347.80708 at tube-tone.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> >
> > Thanks Steve, for the info, but how affordable is a RO system for home
> > use?  You can find a used water still for around $200 on eBay that makes
> > a gallon of distilled water in about 3 hours.  Last I checked, I
> > couldn't even dream of affording any type of RO system for home use.
> >
> > Raybob
> > On 6/18/2013 10:00 AM, homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.comwrote:
> > > Message: 8
> > > Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:37:57 -0500
> > > From: Steve Hamm<steve.hamm at gmail.com>
> > >
> > > Please, folks, go read the wikipedia article on reverse osmosis. You
> > > can desalinate water, you can remove water from maple sap (concentrating
> > > the sugar), cut dissolved minerals, etc. etc. etc. Very flexible
> > > technology. "RO filters" aren't like coffee filters or colanders.
> > >
> > > ...
> > >
> > > --Steve
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 4
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 05:44:12 -0700
> > From: John Nanci <john at chocolatealchemy.com>
> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> >         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> >         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO
> > Message-ID: <51c2f922.c8e9420a.0e6a.378d at mx.google.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
> >
> > A very fast Google search pulled up basic RO systems ranging from
> > $149 to $499.  Seems most make 10-15 gallons a day.  I had a heavy
> > duty one about 10 years ago.  It was about $800.  The water was high
> > enough in salt that distillation was not recommended due to the heavy
> > wear on it (2000 ppm NaCl).
> >
> > Raybob, how does your distiller work?  Do you have to set up a cool
> > water condenser?  Does it turn off automatically?  How do you decide
> > when to start collecting the water?
> >
> > At 01:54 AM 6/20/2013, you wrote:
> > >Thanks Steve, for the info, but how affordable is a RO system for
> > >home use?  You can find a used water still for around $200 on eBay
> > >that makes a gallon of distilled water in about 3 hours.  Last I
> > >checked, I couldn't even dream of affording any type of RO system for
> > home use.
> > >
> > >Raybob
> > >On 6/18/2013 10:00 AM, homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.comwrote:
> > >>Message: 8
> > >>Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:37:57 -0500
> > >>From: Steve Hamm<steve.hamm at gmail.com>
> > >>
> > >>Please, folks, go read the wikipedia article on reverse osmosis. You
> > >>can desalinate water, you can remove water from maple sap (concentrating
> > >>the sugar), cut dissolved minerals, etc. etc. etc. Very flexible
> > >>technology. "RO filters" aren't like coffee filters or colanders.
> > >>
> > >>...
> > >>
> > >>--Steve
> > >
> > >
> > >_______________________________________________
> > >Homeroast mailing list
> > >Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > ><a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> > ><a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 5
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:30:12 -0400
> > From: Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com>
> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> >         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> >         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO
> > Message-ID:
> >         <
> > CAAD6oHewyhqet8ydx7EE9CGeqre83v8_mzrFmP0gqeZtido84A at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > Under sink ROs are very reasonably priced and can produce enough drinking
> > water for a family.  I used to help my dad, when he sold in-house
> > filtration systems (ROs, water softeners, UV systems, etc).  I want to say
> > the model we had was in the $400 to $500 range.
> >
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM, John Nanci <john at chocolatealchemy.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > A very fast Google search pulled up basic RO systems ranging from $149 to
> > > $499.  Seems most make 10-15 gallons a day.  I had a heavy duty one about
> > > 10 years ago.  It was about $800.  The water was high enough in salt that
> > > distillation was not recommended due to the heavy wear on it (2000 ppm
> > > NaCl).
> > >
> > > Raybob, how does your distiller work?  Do you have to set up a cool water
> > > condenser?  Does it turn off automatically?  How do you decide when to
> > > start collecting the water?
> > >
> > >
> > > At 01:54 AM 6/20/2013, you wrote:
> > >
> > >> Thanks Steve, for the info, but how affordable is a RO system for home
> > >> use?  You can find a used water still for around $200 on eBay that
> > makes a
> > >> gallon of distilled water in about 3 hours.  Last I checked, I couldn't
> > >> even dream of affording any type of RO system for home use.
> > >>
> > >> Raybob
> > >> On 6/18/2013 10:00 AM, homeroast-request at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>wrote:
> > >>
> > >>> Message: 8
> > >>> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:37:57 -0500
> > >>> From: Steve Hamm<steve.hamm at gmail.com>
> > >>>
> > >>> Please, folks, go read the wikipedia article on reverse osmosis. You
> > >>> can desalinate water, you can remove water from maple sap
> > (concentrating
> > >>> the sugar), cut dissolved minerals, etc. etc. etc. Very flexible
> > >>> technology. "RO filters" aren't like coffee filters or colanders.
> > >>>
> > >>> ...
> > >>>
> > >>> --Steve
> > >>>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> ______________________________**_________________
> > >> Homeroast mailing list
> > >> Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > >> http://lists.**
> > sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.*
> > >> *sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >
> > >> <a href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<
> > http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
> > >> ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> > >> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<
> > http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
> > >> new Coffee Library</a>
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> > > ______________________________**_________________
> > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > > http://lists.**
> > sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.**
> > > sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >
> > > <a href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<
> > http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
> > > ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<
> > http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
> > > new Coffee Library</a>
> > >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 6
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:00:11 -0400
> > From: Mike Koenig <koenig.mike at gmail.com>
> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> >         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> >         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO
> > Message-ID:
> >         <CAJ4TO=B72Pr57BkkMOdub3Upd7ZVaNB-z2cP=
> > dLjTc_H5yELHg at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> >
> > My RO was $149 from Home Depot.
> >
> > --mike
> >
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:54 AM, Raybob Bowman <raybob at tube-tone.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Steve, for the info, but how affordable is a RO system for home
> > > use?  You can find a used water still for around $200 on eBay that makes
> > a
> > > gallon of distilled water in about 3 hours.  Last I checked, I couldn't
> > > even dream of affording any type of RO system for home use.
> > >
> > > Raybob
> > > On 6/18/2013 10:00 AM, homeroast-request at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>wrote:
> > >
> > >> Message: 8
> > >> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:37:57 -0500
> > >> From: Steve Hamm<steve.hamm at gmail.com>
> > >>
> > >> Please, folks, go read the wikipedia article on reverse osmosis. You
> > >> can desalinate water, you can remove water from maple sap (concentrating
> > >> the sugar), cut dissolved minerals, etc. etc. etc. Very flexible
> > >> technology. "RO filters" aren't like coffee filters or colanders.
> > >>
> > >> ...
> > >>
> > >> --Steve
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> > > ______________________________**_________________
> > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > > http://lists.**
> > sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.**
> > > sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >
> > > <a href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<
> > http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
> > > ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<
> > http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
> > > new Coffee Library</a>
> > >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 7
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:42:13 -0400
> > From: peter zulkowski <peterz5743 at gmail.com>
> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> >         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> >         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO
> > Message-ID:
> >         <
> > CAO5HEX2zM2WxZXLkTYVGuqPegjYz1a5op7AsKkOwz1CBu3WxZw at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > A quick search brought this one. It fits under your sink and works great!
> >
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/iSpring-5-Stage-Reverse-Osmosis-Filter/dp/B003XELTTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371739196&sr=8-1&keywords=ro+system
> >
> > Had one in Arizona.
> >
> > PeterZ
> >
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Mike Koenig <koenig.mike at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > My RO was $149 from Home Depot.
> > >
> > > --mike
> > >
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:54 AM, Raybob Bowman <raybob at tube-tone.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > Thanks Steve, for the info, but how affordable is a RO system for home
> > > > use?  You can find a used water still for around $200 on eBay that
> > makes
> > > a
> > > > gallon of distilled water in about 3 hours.  Last I checked, I couldn't
> > > > even dream of affording any type of RO system for home use.
> > > >
> > > > Raybob
> > > > On 6/18/2013 10:00 AM, homeroast-request at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com
> > <
> > > homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> Message: 8
> > > >> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:37:57 -0500
> > > >> From: Steve Hamm<steve.hamm at gmail.com>
> > > >>
> > > >> Please, folks, go read the wikipedia article on reverse osmosis. You
> > > >> can desalinate water, you can remove water from maple sap
> > (concentrating
> > > >> the sugar), cut dissolved minerals, etc. etc. etc. Very flexible
> > > >> technology. "RO filters" aren't like coffee filters or colanders.
> > > >>
> > > >> ...
> > > >>
> > > >> --Steve
> > > >>
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ______________________________**_________________
> > > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > > Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > > > http://lists.**
> > > sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.**
> > > > sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > >
> > > > <a href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<
> > > http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
> > > > ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> > > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<
> > > http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
> > > > new Coffee Library</a>
> > > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Homeroast mailing list
> > > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >
> > >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > Forum</a>
> > > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
> > >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 8
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:45:52 -0400
> > From: peter zulkowski <peterz5743 at gmail.com>
> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> >         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> >         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO
> > Message-ID:
> >         <
> > CAO5HEX1Ei+00kbiFcSQJtuCkRPdfEvcKy5LmW56W-NVJk97s1A at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > Lots of choices here:) and Prime ships free if you are a member.
> >
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ro+system
> >
> > PeterZ
> >
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM, peter zulkowski <peterz5743 at gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > A quick search brought this one. It fits under your sink and works great!
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > http://www.amazon.com/iSpring-5-Stage-Reverse-Osmosis-Filter/dp/B003XELTTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371739196&sr=8-1&keywords=ro+system
> > >
> > > Had one in Arizona.
> > >
> > > PeterZ
> > >
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Mike Koenig <koenig.mike at gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> > >
> > >> My RO was $149 from Home Depot.
> > >>
> > >> --mike
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:54 AM, Raybob Bowman <raybob at tube-tone.com>
> > >> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> > Thanks Steve, for the info, but how affordable is a RO system for home
> > >> > use?  You can find a used water still for around $200 on eBay that
> > >> makes a
> > >> > gallon of distilled water in about 3 hours.  Last I checked, I
> > couldn't
> > >> > even dream of affording any type of RO system for home use.
> > >> >
> > >> > Raybob
> > >> > On 6/18/2013 10:00 AM, homeroast-request at lists.**
> > sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > >> homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>wrote:
> > >> >
> > >> >> Message: 8
> > >> >> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:37:57 -0500
> > >> >> From: Steve Hamm<steve.hamm at gmail.com>
> > >> >>
> > >> >> Please, folks, go read the wikipedia article on reverse osmosis. You
> > >> >> can desalinate water, you can remove water from maple sap
> > >> (concentrating
> > >> >> the sugar), cut dissolved minerals, etc. etc. etc. Very flexible
> > >> >> technology. "RO filters" aren't like coffee filters or colanders.
> > >> >>
> > >> >> ...
> > >> >>
> > >> >> --Steve
> > >> >>
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > ______________________________**_________________
> > >> > Homeroast mailing list
> > >> > Homeroast at lists.**sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > >> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > >> > http://lists.**
> > >> sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/**listinfo/homeroast_lists.**
> > >> > sweetmariascoffee.com<
> > >>
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >> >
> > >> > <a href="http://www.**sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/<
> > >> http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/>
> > >> > ">**Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> > >> > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.**com/library<
> > >> http://www.sweetmarias.com/library>">Our
> > >> > new Coffee Library</a>
> > >> >
> > >> _______________________________________________
> > >> Homeroast mailing list
> > >> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >>
> > >>
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > >> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
> > Forum</a>
> > >> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 9
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:22:31 +0000
> > From: Scott Bonder <sbonder at friedbonder.com>
> > To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
> >         list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
> >         <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO
> > Message-ID: <B70C4C84C6B8084E8A0098B7C04458E32171A0D0 at SBS.fb.local>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> >
> > I have a RO system in my kitchen.  Cost was around $200 plus installation.
> >  Need to change filters that are part of the system every six months.  It
> > has a tank that stores 4 gallons so that you always have plenty of water
> > despite the slow RO process.
> >
> >
> > Scott L. Bonder
> >
> > Fried & Bonder
> > White Provision, Suite 305
> > 1170 Howell Mill Rd., NW
> > Atlanta, Georgia 30318
> >
> > Direct    404-995-8833
> > Fax         404-995-8899
> > www.friedbonder.com
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Homeroast [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
> > Behalf Of Raybob Bowman
> > Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:55 AM
> > To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO
> >
> > Thanks Steve, for the info, but how affordable is a RO system for home
> > use?  You can find a used water still for around $200 on eBay that makes a
> > gallon of distilled water in about 3 hours.  Last I checked, I couldn't
> > even dream of affording any type of RO system for home use.
> >
> > Raybob
> > On 6/18/2013 10:00 AM, homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.comwrote:
> > > Message: 8
> > > Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:37:57 -0500
> > > From: Steve Hamm<steve.hamm at gmail.com>
> > >
> > > Please, folks, go read the wikipedia article on reverse osmosis. You
> > > can desalinate water, you can remove water from maple sap
> > > (concentrating the sugar), cut dissolved minerals, etc. etc. etc. Very
> > > flexible technology. "RO filters" aren't like coffee filters or
> > colanders.
> > >
> > > ...
> > >
> > > --Steve
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Homeroast mailing list
> > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> > <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Subject: Digest Footer
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Homeroast mailing list
> > Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> >
> > http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > End of Homeroast Digest, Vol 65, Issue 20
> > *****************************************
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
 		 	   		  


More information about the Homeroast mailing list