[Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO

Raybob Bowman raybob at tube-tone.com
Thu Jun 20 13:31:58 CDT 2013

On 6/20/2013 10:00 AM, homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com wrote:
> From: John Nanci<john at chocolatealchemy.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O vs RO
>
> A very fast Google search pulled up basic RO systems ranging from
> $149 to $499.  Seems most make 10-15 gallons a day.  I had a heavy
> duty one about 10 years ago.  It was about $800.  The water was high
> enough in salt that distillation was not recommended due to the heavy
> wear on it (2000 ppm NaCl).
>
> Raybob, how does your distiller work?  Do you have to set up a cool
> water condenser?  Does it turn off automatically?  How do you decide
> when to start collecting the water?
Mine will hook up to water line or can be filled from top. If filled
from top, it will do one gallon. Hooked to water line, timer can be set
for up to 4 gallons until shut-off. The boiling tank has vapor line from
top of tank to cooling coil under a fan. Has stainless steel tank under
unit that holds 4 gallons, with tap to fill bottles from.

As for reverse osmosis, I looked up the wiki article and found why I
have trouble sleeping when that type of water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis_water_purification_unit says:
"The clarified water is then fed through a high-pressure piston pump
into a series of vessels where it is subject to reverse osmosis. The
product water is free of 90.00–99.98% of the raw water's total dissolved
solids and by military standards, should have no more than 1000–1500
parts per million by measure of electrical conductivity. It is then
disinfected with chlorine and stored for later use."

First, chlorine is a killer. Second, leaving 10.0~0.02 percent of solid
waste is too much for my stomach, not to mention my health. There is
0.00 percent of anything left in water that has been purified by
distillation. Same process God uses to make the morning dew.

Raybob