[Homeroast] Brewing coffee in Zero Gravity > was RE: Distilled H2O

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Tue Jun 18 11:13:36 CDT 2013

If I was in charge of food and beverage at NASA do believe coffee would be
brewed in zero gravity.

The most obvious candidate would be espresso extraction method of brewing.
It's a sealed system with water supplied under low pressure (direct plumbed
machines) that creates ~130psi to push the water through the coffee and
filter.

Press Pot, Aeropress and Moka Pots off the top of my head could also work to
brew coffee since all have pressure applied to force the water through the
filter.

Each would have it's own set of challenges to be actually workable in zero
gravity of course. Grinding for the shot could maybe be done with a modified
Swift grinder with added airflow and sealed path to PF. Keeping the shot in
a demitasse as it slowly moved from PF to demi, hit the demi and bounced out
hmmm, have to work on that! Getting water into a Press Pot or Aeropress or
Moka Pot a different challenge. Many more I'm sure. Regardless brewing in
zero gravity "could" be done! (Given enough money to throw at the challenge
:-)

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/