[Homeroast] postings for June 13th.

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Thu Jun 13 23:57:50 CDT 2013

While I can and do have excellent repeatability with the USCR 3k interesting
thing the greatest precision I had (have) roasting began long long ago at
about six months into home roasting. And not talking about my Computer
Controlled HotTop which came much later. And certainly not B1600 which also
came later but very short lived in my Journey. (though still sits on a
shelf) Namely with Caffe Rosto after split wiring heater and fan for
independent dual variable boosted voltage control and bean temp monitoring.
Similar to what Jim Schulman did with his FR same time frame and others did
with their roasters be it popcorn popper or off the shelf coffee intended
appliance. Could change a ramp rate on dime, I mean lightning fast, with
highly accurate and precise control. Not only control but went from a 1/4lb
stock rated roaster which initially I ran 1/3lb using Rockin' Rosto
technique during drying before voltage boost to 1/2lb batches all the time
sans rockin' needed for early bean movement. Throw 142v at the fan and had
no problem gittin' 1/2lb greens moving! No tipping, no unevenness etc. AND
could (and did for fun) do any profile from 5 minute French to 30 minute
Cinnamon. Neither of which I ever did for consumption, just did to do it and
fully master control of ubber fast and ubber slow without stalling ramp
rates. From 6 months on I began exploring in earnest how varying different
ramp rates different stages effected the cup. Over a decade later I know I
know but little to nothing. (But am told I'm pretty dang good at faking it
:)

Nothing wrong with roasting without monitoring bean and environment temps.
(Unless looking to best understand what's going and or for repeatability). I
have a dedicated carbon steel coffee roasting wok, over the coals fire
shaker roaster (forget what it's called at the moment, androk?), have SS fry
pan roasted a 1/2lb with no stir chef toss only just for fun loosing only 7
beans. While I do have a heat gun have never bothered using it to roast
coffee though know I could. It doesn't much matter if you understand a tools
capability and know what you're trying to achieve to roast with whatever.
However some tools are much easier to get desired consistent results than
others!

I'm a long time staunch believer the best roasters strive to understand the
science to apply the art. One without the other hinders the ability to make
each bean sing. IMNSHO.

Yet each person's Journey is their Journey. Some travel long and far
continually searching new horizons, some stay near the known and
comfortable. No path wrong if it's the path you choose. For me it's the
Journey not the destination which never is an end just another beginning.

It grows late and rest beckons before tomorrow's beans call. Such is an
inkling of my philosophy of Coffee and Life.

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/