[Homeroast] Distilled H2O

Raybob Bowman raybob at tube-tone.com
Mon Jun 10 15:16:52 CDT 2013

On 6/10/2013 10:00 AM, homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com wrote:
> From: John Nanci <john at chocolatealchemy.com>
>
> "all that benzine (sic)"  I just have to ask, all what benzene?  In
> 15 years analyzing for benzene, I never found it once in water that
> was not a ground monitoring well (and not used for drinking).  As for
> what organics, usually those refer to THM's and HAA's - both
> disinfection by products of chlorination.   And all 18 mohm and RO
> systems I ever used had carbon filters also in place to deal with
> removing those low level organics.
>
> John
When I lived in a friend's house in Pacifica, CA, homeowner got report
periodically, of amounts of various things in the water. Benzine was on
the list with measured amounts, as was bromine or bromide, don't
remember what that was called.

Benzine is in air pollution from petroleum burning.  Rain brings that to
ground water.  It boils at 120, not 212.  If you heat tap water and see
steam before it reaches boiling temp, you have passed other boiling
points for benzine and bromine, to name a few solubles that boil off
before water does.  Bromine boils off at 145F and Benzine boils off at
176F.  You can't pour water with soluble chemicals through any type of
filter to make them get out of the water.  Only distillation separates
them from the water.

> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:24:23 -0400
> From: Mike Koenig <koenig.mike at gmail.com>
> Raybob,
>
> I'm trying not to sound arrogant or preacy here, but please know that you
> are trying to argue science and water purification with a number of us who
> have extensive first-hand knowledge and experience in this field, and don't
> try to convince us that there is some "magic" going on with distillation
> that makes it better or more pure than high-purity water produced by RO
> and/or deionization (often called 18-megohm water due to the electrical
> resistance of completely pure water).    You might be better served by
> opening your mind and listening to those of us who know a thing or two,
> rather than thinking you know better.
>
> In the world of water purification, single steam distillation is pretty
> lousy, and won't remove volatile organic components (benzene, to use your
> example,  being one of them, though it's almost never a problem in
> municipal tap water).   Your comment about "drinking all that benzene"
> makes it very clear that you have been fed a lot of conspiracy theories and
> propaganda by someone, and that you don't really know the subject very
> well.
>
> --mike
Mike,
I believe my personal experiences (and my 96 year old deceased
grandparents) have very much "extensive first-hand knowledge and
experience in this field".  My internal scientific meter can tell me
after at least 1/2 gallon that a water labeled "distilled" on the bottle
has fine print that says "made from distillation AND ozonation".  My gut
can tell that.  My grandparents had bottled water brought to them by 5
gal bottles, ever since I can remember. In 1982, they bought their home
distiller and used that soley until they had the nurse move in.  They
were both very healthy at 96, when my dad treated them to a live-in care
provider.  They were both dead within 1 year of that.  After they died
is when my dad discovered the live-ins were not running the still.

Raybob