[Homeroast] electric roasters

Jeffrey Pawlan jpawlan at pawlan.com
Sat Jun 8 14:15:52 CDT 2013

I read all of the posts today and especially looked at this one:

"At that price and with all of the other concerns, it seems like there
would be better options.  Has anyone looked at the Amazon DL-A721-S?
I just saw it mentioned by someone on Reddit.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/651926781/Electric_Coffee_Roaster_DL_A72
1_S_.html

The good news is that it is 220v.  The bad news is that the heater is
only 1200w.  I designed and built the computer controlled roaster out
of modified hottops. I specially ordered some higher power heaters
(880w) from the manufacturer in Taiwan. That helped but still the
hottop could not do a fast roast. Those heaters are no longer
available and I do not have any more.

The Amazon looks like the Dietrich IR.  I wonder if the Chinese copied
the Dietrich or if Dietrich buys theirs from China?  Regardless, I do
not think highly of using an electric heater for large batches. By
physical limitations, they cannot heat and cool quickly enough to do
a good profile.

Regarding using a heatgun to supplement an underpowered home drum
roaster, I had one CCR customer try that to get roasts as short as an
air roaster. He caused the hottop to catch on fire and melt.

Regards,

Jeffrey Pawlan