[Homeroast] HT 1k > RE: New roaster

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Fri Jun 7 22:22:41 CDT 2013

Can't believe it's the first I've heard of it. Thought they were working on
a 1lb not 1k. (for years now) How I'd love to see air-flow design diagrams.
To pull of a 110v 1500w = 13.64A 1k roaster makes me think they may well be
using air recirculation in combination with external air flow in. There are
new(er) design large commercial drum roasters that are virtually smokeless
and very energy efficient that use recirculation. During the recirculation
the smoke is burned off versus traditional drum roaster with an after-burner
to burn off the smoke after exiting. Potentially interesting indeed. With
their spec'd 16-20min (on the long side IMO) roast times AT CAPACITY could
mean at say ~1.64lb greens for 1.5lb yield could be decent profile control
and 14 to 15 min times possible. Very interesting. Price point wise
personally won't be surprised to see $1.5k to $2k, especially their stated
target market. Time will tell. And questions like is their an actual bean
mass temp probe (as well as environment temp of course) missing on all
previous HotTop models. Deal breaker for me if no. All in all quite the
tease of information (and lack of information) on the website!

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/