[Homeroast] Distilled H2O

Kirk Janowiak kirk at angelwoodcreative.com
Tue Jun 4 14:58:21 CDT 2013

Let me say, with respect to read each, readings, and general knowledge
about water and water quality... Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
Fisheries science (with the associated discipline of water quality and
water quality management) are part of my professional training.

Two more comments & I am done:

1. Rainwater is NOT distiller, except in theory. Once the droplets
are nucleated or cohese to form falling drops, they are already laden with
carbon dioxide, lowering the pH to just below 6, and then dissolving into
solution any number of airborne pollutants that may be measured in parts
per thousand to parts per hundred! YMMV depending on location. Lowest
levels, as you might expect, are in Antarctica, but even there you'll find
ppm of DDT and a couple other organics. By comparison, arsenic (not the
scary toxin it is made out to be) in ground water in high arsenic areas is
measured in parts per trillion or billion. Too small for even an
accumulating agent to cause ill effects. I'd NEVER recommend drinking
rainwater over any but the rarest place I the continental 48. Make mine
deep limestone aquifer groundwater, please.

2. If your sources are stating that minerals in water are not taken up
properly-- and likely trying to get you to accept chelates minerals,
instead; you should be suspicious of the source.
>>Moreover, distilled water does attach itself to compounds and leach them,
but not to minerals that have been incorporated into cells, it leaches
disposed waste such as salts. <<

Nope. Osmotic potential does not ignore minerals. Sodium, potassium,
calcium, chlorides, carbonates, and others are carried by water in & out of
the cell; some through special membrane channels that are there just for
that purpose. You may call sodium a "waste" or "salt," if you like, but it
comes into you mainly as the mineral sodium chloride (a salt that is a
mineral).

Sorry...3rd comment. My point is that for most people in most of our
country, stuff dissolved in our water is not as bad for them as is often
reported. In some urbanized areas, taking out lead and organics is a good
idea, but low energy filtration will preserve the buffering capability of
the water that is lost through distillation and preserve the healthful
benefits of the dissolved minerals.

I say with others here, do what you think is best and what tastes best for
your coffee. We will just have to agree to disagree on the healthful
benefits of drinking distilled water.

Respectfully,
Kirk (resident middle of the roader)