[Homeroast] Distilled H2O

J3R j at j3r.org
Tue Jun 4 13:55:57 CDT 2013

On 13-06-04 02:18 PM, John Nanci wrote:
> I could not even get through your post, but just had to comment on
> this (being a 20 year water chemist).  You have a very interesting way
> of interpreting that link - that those compounds are 'allowed'.  The
> piece I don't think you know is that most of those nasty ones (like
> arsenic) the MCL is set at what current, common instrumentation can
> see.  The translation to that is that if they can detect it it's over
> the limit.  That's totally different from saying they allow 0.02 mg/L
> arsenic.  In the world of analytical chemistry you cannot say there
> can be none there as you can't prove the absolute absence.  You can
> only reasonably prove the absence to a certain level.  The same go for
> lead, cyanide and mercury to name just a few.  Those 'allowable'
> limits are no such thing in practice - they are as low as we can see
> which is as good you can regulate for.
>
> And as for rain water being distilled water, I see where you are
> coming from but - um, ever heard of acid rain?  I've analyzed rain
> water and it does not hold a candle to the purity of real distilled
> water.  Great statement in theory, but it does not hold up in practise.
>
> John

All I said is that rain is distilled water, and I did note it picks up
contaminants on the way down, which is why I don't drink it, I drink my
own homemade distiled water. However, the resident biologist stated that
"There is and never has been anywhere on this earth that distiller water
exists for consumption or use by organisms.", which I thought was
leaving out an obvious source of distilled water that in fact all life
on earth depends upon. I could also mention condensation on rock faces,
on leaves, etc... I think distilled water is quite prevalent in nature.

To your measurement point, what you are saying is that the "allowable"
level equates to the level of error of the measurement devices. That is
all fine, but that still means you can be taking in small amounts of
dangerous chemicals with every glass of water, many of which
bioaccumulate. Seems to me it would be safer to try to eliminate these
as much as possible, especially if there is no downside to doing so.

Jer