[Homeroast] Distilled H2O

John Nanci john at chocolatealchemy.com
Tue Jun 4 13:18:49 CDT 2013

I could not even get through your post, but just had to comment on
this (being a 20 year water chemist).  You have a very interesting
way of interpreting that link - that those compounds are
'allowed'.  The piece I don't think you know is that most of those
nasty ones (like arsenic) the MCL is set at what current, common
instrumentation can see.  The translation to that is that if they can
detect it it's over the limit.  That's totally different from saying
they allow 0.02 mg/L arsenic.  In the world of analytical chemistry
you cannot say there can be none there as you can't prove the
absolute absence.  You can only reasonably prove the absence to a
certain level.  The same go for lead, cyanide and mercury to name
just a few.  Those 'allowable' limits are no such thing in practice -
they are as low as we can see which is as good you can regulate for.

And as for rain water being distilled water, I see where you are
coming from but - um, ever heard of acid rain?  I've analyzed rain
water and it does not hold a candle to the purity of real distilled
water.  Great statement in theory, but it does not hold up in practise.

John