[Homeroast] Distilled H2O

Mike Davis mldavis2 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 4 13:09:49 CDT 2013

Any of us lab rats will tell you that boiling pure distilled water is
dangerous as it can "bump" or "explode" for lack of particulate surface
around which to form vapor bubbles.  Be very careful.  In a metal boiler
chamber there should be sufficient surfaces to prevent that, but you
never know.

Much municipal tap water is treated with chlorine which does not help
the taste of coffee or anything else for that matter.  I run my water
through a Pur charcoal filter that removes the taste of chlorine and
many other impurities, but not all.  It would be rather expensive to
brew with distilled water unless you have a still, in which case you are
probably contaminating the water with impurities from the plumbing.

Mike Davis