[Homeroast] Distilled H2O

J3R j at j3r.org
Tue Jun 4 12:54:44 CDT 2013

On 13-06-04 12:37 AM, Janomac wrote:
> Let's see...
> There is and never has been anywhere on this earth that distiller water
> exists for consumption or use by organisms.
Except perhaps rain?
> Just sayin' that a little science goes a long way to help understanding
> what our bodies need and how our taste buds respond.
> Drink what you like, but don't dis the minerals in your water...your body
> wants them.
>
> Kirk (resident biologist and keeper of many critters)

Interesting, but I believe it to be largely untrue from my research. My
water pH is close enough to neutral, I have checked it more than once
(because people keep saying that). The mineral question I also do not
worry about since I take in water in many forms in foods, as we all do,
and my diet is quite good. I am certainly not suffering from mineral
imbalance. I have done my research, and the science I have seen does not
agree that you need to supplement mineral intake. In fact, most sources
I have seen state that the minerals in water are not even taken up by
your body properly, that minerals are provided almost exclusively by
food. Moreover, distilled water does attach itself to compounds and
leach them, but not to minerals that have been incorporated into cells,
it leaches disposed waste such as salts. In fact, most of the additional
compounds in water we consider to be "healthy" are added during the
treatment process.

"In terms of mineral nutrients intake, it is unclear what the drinking
water contribution is. Inorganic minerals generally enter surface water
and ground water via storm water runoff or through the Earth's crust.
Treatment processes also lead to the presence of some minerals. Examples
include calcium, zinc, manganese, phosphate, fluoride and sodium
compounds.[10] Water generated from the biochemical metabolism of
nutrients provides a significant proportion of the daily water
requirements for some arthropods and desert animals, but provides only a
small fraction of a human's necessary intake. There are a variety of
trace elements present in virtually all potable water, some of which
play a role in metabolism. For example sodium, potassium and chloride
are common chemicals found in small quantities in most waters, and these
elements play a role in body metabolism. Other elements such as
fluoride, while beneficial in low concentrations, can cause dental
problems and other issues when present at high levels."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_water

Studies have shown that large amounts of fertilizer and pesticide runoff
from farming make their way back into the water supply. Levels of
pharmaceutical drugs are found in all major water supplies. Hormones,
radium, aluminum, copper, lead, mercury, cadmium, barium, nitrates...
Fluoride and chlorine are both harmful and impart a bad taste.
Radioactive particles are removed through distillation.

"In 2010 the EPA showed that 54 active pharmaceutical ingredients and 10
metabolites had been found in treated drinking water. An earlier study
from 2005 by the EPA and the Geographical Survey states that 40% of
water was contaminated with nonprescription pharmaceuticals, and it has
been reported that of the 8 of the 12 most commonly occurring chemicals
in drinking water are estrogenic hormones.[47] Of the pharmaceutical
components found in drinking water, the EPA only regulates lindane and
perchlorate. In 2009, the EPA did announce another 13 chemicals,
hormones, and antibiotics that could potentially be regulated. The
decision on whether or not they are sufficiently harmful to be regulated
may not be decided upon until 2012 as it takes time for testing."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_water#United_States

The crap left in the distiller is foul and disgusting, it is not just
"minerals" by a very long shot. The amount of dissolved minerals in
water could never account for this mass. It is organic and inorganic
waste, and it smells like it too. It stains the stainless steel. Unless
you see this for yourself you don't get it. Go here and look at the list
of allowable compounds http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/index.cfm
- you certainly get your minerals there! Antimony, arsenic, asbestos,
and that is just the A's. Just the fact that these compounds are not
entering my body makes my water healthier than normal people's, even if
it is "stealing my mineral nutrients" or "disrupting my cells" or
whatever the claim is, because arsenic for instance is not very kind to
cells either.

Many many people drink distilled water, for centuries, without harm.
RAIN WATER is distilled water. I don't think most people would try to
tell someone that is unhealthy, other than maybe what it picked up on
the way down. There are no minerals in rain water.

In fact most people I know who drink it think it far superior to any
filtering system. The (non-) taste is desirable, the downsides are none
that I have ever seen properly elucidated. There is lots of rumour and
innuendo about it being dangerous, and while DHMO (http://www.dhmo.org/)
is indeed a dangerous substance, distilling it does nothing to make it
more dangerous.

Water is H2O, nothing more, nothing less. If you want added junk in your
water, that is great, I don't fault you for it, you have been told time
and again that it is "healthy" for you. The fact that it is not is easy
to demonstrate just with the selections I have included above and below,
but I leave this as an exercise for the reader.

"A major Associated Press investigation now builds on his data. It
reported yesterday that although lead remains a serious problem in
school drinking water, it’s far from the only one. “The most frequently
cited contaminant was coliform bacteria, followed by lead and copper,
arsenic and nitrates,” AP found. Its reporters pored over a decade’s
worth of drinking-water violations racked by the nation’s schools and
compiled in an Environmental Protection Agency database."

"The Times’s research also shows that last year, 40 percent of the
nation’s community water systems violated the Safe Drinking Water Act at
least once, according to an analysis of E.P.A. data. Those violations
ranged from failing to maintain proper paperwork to allowing carcinogens
into tap water. More than 23 million people received drinking water from
municipal systems that violated a health-based standard."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/us/13water.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&

Yours,

Jer