[Homeroast] Distilled H2O

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Mon Jun 3 18:50:26 CDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Homeroast [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
Behalf Of J3R
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 4:06 PM
To: A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Distilled H2O

On 13-06-03 07:00 PM, Sandy Andina wrote:
> Depends on how good your tap water tastes (whether or not you filter it)
or if you use bottled natural spring water as I do for my espresso machine.
I tried distilled water for drip, and the coffee tasted flat--I have good
tap water and I use it filtered for drip.  Never use distilled in an
espresso machine, since both auto-boiler refill and tank sensors need a
trace of minerals to detect water.

> Peace & Song,
> Sandy Andina
> www.sandyandina.com
I will just add that I have used distilled water in my Behmor Brazen, in my
Lelit espresso machine and in my Gaggia platinum vision (and aeropress,
syphon machine, tea, etc) for over a year and I have had no problems. YMMV.

> Jer

Neither the Lelit or Gaggia Super Auto have a dedicated steam boiler which
to my knowledge always has water level sensor for auto-fill. In fact I don't
know of any single boiler dual use espresso machines with auto-fill feature
and hence don't have auto-fill sensor. However most (all I know of and know
many in good detail) water tank models use a weight based not electrical
current method for water tank running low so water mineral content
irrelevant in that respect.

I also don't know a single coffee professional that doesn't find water with
a slight mineral content superior to distilled in the brewed cup. Which is
irrelevant to what floats your boat.

Mike McGinness, Head Bean
Compass Coffee
http://www.compasscoffeeroasting.com
360-989-6658

Ultimately the quest for Coffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must