[Homeroast] FIRST CRACK

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 12:03:32 CDT 2013

Dave,

I too got hearing aids, about a year ago (from Costco). I can usually hear
first crack without the aids, and I don't go much beyond first crack, so I
have been roasting without the aids to keep them out of the smoke. Probably
doesn't matter, but that's what I do. I don't think I could hear second
crack because there are too many similar and competing sounds and second
crack probably blends in.

The most amazing thing for me after getting hearing aids was how much
softer I can play the radio, and how much I can understand of what the
people on the radio are saying. Same with music (though I also got a
31-band equalizer and headphones, and the sound of music through headphones
is much more musical). But at first it was really strange to hear all the
high tones, tympani, etc in the music.

Brian