[Homeroast] FIRST CRACK

Dave Huddle 137trimethyl26dioxopurine at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 09:51:45 CDT 2013

I recently re-discovered FIRST CRACK in my Behmor roaster.    I began home
roasting (popcorn popper) shortly after Tom opened his shop in Columbus -
way back in the 20th century.

In the last several years I sort of noticed that some beans really didn't
have much sound of first crack, and sometimes I didn't hear the beginning
of 2nd crack at all.

Then I was fitted with hearing aids because of my high frequency hearing
lost and - WOW! - I hear 1st crack again and 2nd crack too.   What a
difference!

So my home roasts are turning out better since I can hear the crack sounds
over the hum of my exhaust hood and the drone of the Behmor and I'm able to
stop the roast before I have a charbucks mess.

Dave
Westerville, OH