[Homeroast] Liquid dripping from HotTop?

Gary White gary_white at verizon.net
Tue Jul 9 23:57:01 CDT 2013

I've been roasting for well over 10 years and this is a first for me.  I
recently purchased a HotTop and was on probably my 4th roast when I noticed
a liquid dripping from the front right bottom corner of the roast chamber
(when facing the viewing glass and to the right of the chaff tray) onto the
cooling tray.  This was obviously coming from the roasted coffee as it
looked similar to espresso.  This roast was my  first with the Espresso
Workshop #27 - Los Tumulos that came with the roaster after I had finished
off my supply of a previous Espresso Workshop offering.  At first I thought
this was just a fluke but it has happened on both roasts I've made since
then.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Could this possibly be due to beans with
a higher water content?

I've roasted many, many different types of beans over the years on an array
of different roasters and I've never seen anything like this.

Thanks,

Gary

P.S.  I originally sent this to the old list address.  I've since roasted
another batch without the liquid dripping.  I'm going to try another batch
shortly.