[Homeroast] On Topic: Popper-Roasting

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu Jul 11 17:59:51 CDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:28:17AM -0700, John Nanci wrote:
> To my knowledge, nichrome (or any resistive heater) does not 'tire
> out' to any noticeable degree.  They fail, but that's it.  So you
> can take that off the table.

    The resistance of the elements will increase with age, due to the
    reduction in cross section by oxidation, and also, due to
    elongation of the loops.  This will result in decreased power

    http://www.nationalelement.com/hottips.cfm?TipID=6

Of course, many of the same things that cause this aging also
contribute to the eventual failure.  I was hoping to find confirmation
of the longstanding impression I have that, in the sort of wire-coil
heaters we're talking about here, there wasn't usually a whole lot of
increase before they would check out.  OTOH, especially when talking
about a popper that's working well up to some roast level but then
struggles (and maybe fails) to go further, small changes in the roast
chamber inlet temperature can make a surprising difference.

--
Happy Holidays!  Cry "Charge it!" and let slip the dogs of more.