[Homeroast] On Topic: Popper-Roasting

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 11:04:11 CDT 2013

I roasted with a stock West Bend Poppery 2 for several years. First in New
Mexico, where it worked fine with 1/2 cup of greens. Then I moved to
Columbia SC and could hardly get the beans to roast, in two different
buildings. The roast would get close to done, but then could barely be
coaxed over the top. (I removed the bimetal thermostat.) I finally settled
on an untested hypothesis that the increased level of moisture in the SC
air took more oomph to heat; my analogy, maybe bogus but the best I had,
was that if I were to run pure water through the popper it would never get
close to roasting temps, so as the level of moisture increased (and there
was a LOT of moisture in the air in SC compared to NM), it seemed it would
take more oomph to heat the air. Another possibility, one that I could not
test, was that the power level in the outlets was lower in SC than in NM.
In the first of the two SC locations I used a 25-foot 12 ga. extension
cord; in the second location I plugged the popper directly into the outlet
of a new house.

I was getting tired of the small batches anyway, so I switched from poppers
to a Master Appliance 751b heat gun, which allows me to easily roast a
pound at a time. Heat gun roasting might not be satisfactory for you
because of the much lower level of control; I just raise and lower the heat
gun using the by-guess and by-golly method.

Brian